Sunday, September 19, 2010

“Is Google Making Us Stupid?”

            In the article “Is Google Making Us Stupid?” by Nicholas Carr he talks a lot about how the internet is changing the way we read and how we comprehend and make connections to the things we read, because when we read things off of the internet we have become accustomed to skimming whatever is it that we are reading. He explained how he used to be able to spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose and being able to analyze and make connections to what he was reading, but now he finds it a struggle to stay focused after two to three pages. I know how he feels when it comes to this, because unless I am reading something that I’m really connected to or really interested in my mind drifts away while I read. It’s almost like I never read it in the first place. The part about this I don’t understand is how he explains that he loses his concentration after two to three pages, but then he writes this article that is eight pages long. A lot of those pages to me also seemed very off topic and somewhat random. Then again a lot of it really made sense to me and made me think about how reading articles and letters off the internet really changes our learning. It made me question do we depend on the internet for our learning too much? Or maybe do not even depend on it enough? I wonder this because if we can’t comprehend things well enough when we read them on the internet maybe we should practice reading things on the internet so that we have the ability to understand and fully read everything instead of just skimming.

            In this article I believe the main focus was supposed to be on the supercomputer HAL that’s idea is being constructed by the makers of Google. The Idea of HAL is to somehow connect this so called “ingenious” device to the human brain to technically upgrade our intelligence. I don’t believe this would be a good idea what so ever because in my honest opinion it sounds like this would turn us in to living robots. Having a computer controlling all of our brains would cause us to lose all emotion we have and it would not enable us to move forward with technology because it would be controlling us. The whole idea seems completely out of reach from where our world is technology wise now, but I still don’t think this idea would be taking a step forward, but a huge step back in our world’s technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment